Leopard Gecko is a part of the family of reptiles, and the most well-known reptile as pets. Leopard gecko was originally a part of the family of lizards along with other 1050 species but now they have made their own family. They have the genus called Eublepharis which consist of 4 other closely related species named the dusky leopard gecko, Turkmenistan eyelid gecko, east Indian leopard gecko and the Iraqi eyelid gecko.
Why is leopard gecko different?
All the leopard geckos that are involved in the trade of pets are originally from Pakistan. The leopard geckos are the only type of geckos which can move their eyelids. Unlike other geckos who have immovable eyelids. These geckos are unique because they don’t have the lamellae which are the pads present on the foot of the animals. These are so unique in their formation and alignment, if you take a look inside the ear of the gecko then you can see the other side of his head too.
Habitat of Leopard Gecko
The leopard gecko is spread across the world but mostly found in Asian and Middle eastern countries. The countries where leopard gecko is mostly found are Afghanistan, Pakistan, western India, Iraq, Iran. They like the environment having semi deserts and dry grasslands.
They usually like to stay in places having clay, rocks, coarse grasses and gravels. Leopard geckos are used to living in hostile conditions hence they can live without food and water for days. They have a humpy skin with spots present every here and there. This type of skin helps them in the practice of camouflage during attacks. They have adapted themselves into living within extreme temperatures. However wild leopard geckos get dormant during winters but the pets remain active throughout the year.
Interesting facts about geckos
These include the second largest of the family of lizards. Found mostly in desert and tropical areas. Geckos undergo a wide range in sizes from Shaerodactylus species that are 1.2 inches long to extremely long ones having about 15 inches length. There was a time when several kinds of geckos were 24inch long but now they are extinct.
Ways to create an ideal habitat for leopard gecko
- Since Leopard Geckos are the most popular pets in reptiles, hence people keep them at their homes. It is very important to provide them with their ideal habitat otherwise it will affect their health. You can make an ideal habitat for them at your home, and that will make them think of it as their home too. If you want your pet to remain healthy you need to create them a habitat they like.
- It is advisable to keep the leopard gecko in a glass terrarium rather than wired cages. It allows them to be safe inside the terrarium and reduces the chances of them being eloped. The glass container must have a source of ventilation and light. For this purpose, the lid of the container can be made by wires.
- What is inside the cage is also important to provide a best habitat for leopard gecko like environment to your pet. You must make the cage look more and more like the natural environment. For this, you can put rocks or logs inside it. They will make Gecko think of his habitat where he climbs and jumps and have fun. To add a more naturalistic vibe, you can put plants either natural or artificial. Also if you are going to put a real plant, then research well about it and whether it could harm the gecko or not.
- Leopard Geckos are ectothermic animals which simply means that these animals are incapable of developing their own body heat and hence rely on other sources to produce heat for them. Their cage or container must be kept at a nominal temperature of 80 to 85 Fahrenheit during the day however the temperature at night can be lowered by 10 degrees. You can check the temperature with a thermometer and adjust accordingly.
- Just like temperature, it is equally important to give the right amount and right quality of natural light to your pet. The amount of light that your pet should get varies from season to season just like what actually happens in reality. During summers, the leopard gecko is required to get at least 14 hours of daylight while in winter they can get 12 hours of it. To create natural light artificially, you can use certain tools like black heat lamps or red lamps.
- When it comes to humidity, they have a certain humidity need that is required to be fulfilled. Failing which they may face improper shedding cycles and problems related to hydration. Ideal humidity in which they live is about 40 per cent. Humidity can be managed with the use of hygrometer.
Cleanliness and hygiene
Just like humans, pets need hygiene too. To maintain the good health of your pet you must take care of the cleanliness of your pet as well as the surroundings. To do this, you need to clean the terrarium regularly, remove all the waste and debris and insects from the cage. Remove the faecal matter, clean the food and water bowls in regular intervals. Don’t go for cleaners as they may contain phenols, which can cause toxicity for geckos. Leopard geckos are one of those animals that need lots of water. A bowl of water must always be present inside their cage with clean water.
A very amazing fact to know about Geckos is that the males and the females are quite different in their approach to territory. Male Geckos, however, cannot survive outside their territory so to make them think the cage as their habitat you must have female Geckos inside it too. They are fun loving and active animals and so require a place to hide and play and jump and climb. They become extremely aggressive if they don’t get the place of their wish.