When it comes to the hedgehogs bedding, wood and fabric shavings are the two types of bedding most commonly used by the people. The wood shaving type of hedgehog bedding is a type that is most commonly preferred by most of the new pet owners as it is easy to find at your local pet stores. However, many people are surprised to find the fabric type of bedding by the hedgehog enthusiasts and breeders because of its cheaper price, easier to use and it is a safer alternative bedding type for the hedgehogs. If you wish to use the wood shaving bedding for your hedge hogs then you need to keep in mind that commonly sold materials like cedar and pine wood shavings have been shown to be of poisonous one to the small animals.
This is because the resins present in the bedding are fragrant which contains the chemical compounds with it that can irritate your hedgehogs lungs and in some cases it can also even cause the liver damage. The wood shaving is found to be the best bedding for hedgehog, if you wish to use this wood shaving bedding type then aspen is the safe material to go with although this is found to be somewhat expensive. Where some hedgehog owners will feel comfortable in selecting the kiln baked pine beddings and this has been treated to the high temperatures to remove the volatile compounds present in the bedding.
Advantages of wood shaving bedding
- The wood shaving bedding for the hedgehogs will provide more convenience in which it will not easily show the bodily fluids of your hedgehog where this is an advantage and disadvantage that depends on whether or not you want to monitor your hedgehogs feces and urine for health purpose.
- Secondly the hedgehogs really enjoy burrowing through the lose bedding; finally some people prefer to use the bedding that is simply composted or thrown out instead of washing in the machines or reusing it.
- Comparing to other hedgehog bedding the wood shaving bedding provides wide range of benefits to the hedgehog owners starting from the cost to the comfortable to your hedgehog.
Basic rules of hedgehog care
The hedgehog care can be simple or complicated one based on how you make it, but they do have very predominant and specific needs that you should commit yourself to before keeping the hedgehog in your home. The hedgehog is a playful and active creature with the territorial, emotional and nutritional needs that must be met for about 4 to 7 years in order to keep your hedgehog health and happy way. Some of the things you need to consider and take care for keeping your dog happy and healthy enough. They are.
- The first and foremost thing which you need to do is to find a cage and the play area that is suitable one for your dog in which you need to buy it based on its body size. You must keep your hedgehog stimulated, safe and entertained to your home environment.
- The hedgehog needs a sleeping or nesting cage so prefer the cage that opens into a boxed entertainment and foraging area. In which you can also use a medium sized pet taxi for your hedgehog and place it inside the empty wooden box enclosure.
- When it comes to feeding time of hedgehog then the time you feed your hedgehog matter. The insects are first and valuable source of food for the wild hedgehog but this food is loaded with fat and such should be kept at the minimum amount for less active and less hedgehogs.
- Offer you are hedgehog a special kind of food treat twice per week and also feed your pet with high protein kitten food, high quality foods that are rich in nutritional needs, in which you can also offer fruits as well as shallow pan for water.
How to create a hedgehog friendly garden for bedding
The hedgehog pet animals are known as the gardener’s friend due to their fondness for muching on snails, slugs and other pests in which the hedgehogs used to be a common sight in your garden area. However now a days the hedgehog are facing an uphill struggle to survive where this is down to the range of causes that includes the loss of hedgerows, traffic, house building and pesticides. According to the wildlife trust the hedgehog numbers have gone down to the 30% in just 10 years and following are few suggestions for making your garden area as hedgehog bedding. They are.
Create a wildlife corridor
- Build a new shelter area for your hedgehog so that it can feel more comfort and this will create a potential nesting place for your hedgehog looking to hibernate and sleep. You can also add the dried grass and leaves for making the hedgehog sleeping area best bedding for hedgehog
- Feed your dog with the nutritional foods that includes the sunflower seeds, crushed nuts, chopped boiled eggs, sultanas, poultry flavoured cat or dog food in jelly and dried mealworms. You can also buy the foods that are specialized for hedgehog
- Avoid using the pesticides in the garden area particularly slug pellets which can kill your hedgehog when they eat the slugs with the pellets inside them, instead make the slug trap by burying a half grape fruit in a flower bed and mix it with beer.
The hedgehogs have a curious nature but have the poor eyesight which can be of fatal combination. So help the hedgehog to be out of trouble by covering any ditches or drains in your garden area. When you build the light or bonfire straight away before any small creatures can take up the residence. You can use the wooden, bricks, or rocks boards to create a sloping edge so that your hedgehog can climb out safely, lastly you need to check for the hedgehogs before cutting the long grass.